This simple raw salad is a great way to get two of the most beneficial foods for health into your body. Red cabbage is one of the healthiest vegetables you can consume and pumpkin seeds are packed with magnesium. Magnesium is considered the anti-stress mineral and is important for the production of energy.
Cabbage is an easy way to add nutrients into your diet and purple cabbage, with its vibrant colour, means it contains phytonutrients that have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. When left raw cabbage is also high in vitamin C and K and folic acid as well as B6. The high fiber in cabbage protects us from colon cancer and it is loaded with a variety of nutrients that aid in digestive support.
Raw Cabbage Salad with Apples and Cilantro
- 1/2 head red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 gala apple, cored and cut into bite size chunks
- 1/4 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 bunch cilantro
- 3-4 scallions, sliced
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1/2 avocado, mashed
- 2 tbsp cold pressed olive oil
- 1 tbsp raw honey, optional
- sea salt, pepper
- In a large bowl mash one avocado, add in lime juice, olive oil, sea salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Add to the shredded cabbage, diced apple, cilantro, green onion and pumpkin seeds. Toss to combine and serve.