Variety is essential to your health. Not only is it important to eat a wide variety of fruits and vegetables for different vitamins and minerals in different foods but over time if you eat the same things week after week for an extended period of time your body will build an intolerance to that food.
Granted, not too many children love green beans as far as I am aware. My kids loved this salad and Ava preferred it over her chicken and she loves her protein. Make very certain that the beans are super fresh. When you have very few ingredients in a salad it makes the end result better if you get the best quality product. In Calgary, Hotchkiss is always a winner, but if you have a local supplier that you know does not spray their beans, find some, and make this salad.
Green Bean Salad with Feta and Hazelnuts
adapted from Martha Stewarts Whole Living
- 2 pkg Hotchkiss green beans, or other fresh green beans
- 1/2 small red onion or shallot, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted if you like, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup gota feta, crumbled
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 tbsp cold pressed olive oil or walnut oil
- sea salt and pepper
- Cut then ends off the green beans and steam for 4 minutes or until beans or slightly cooked but still a bit crisp. Over cooking the beans will destroy this salad so be careful.
- In a large bowl combine, mustard, maple syrup, vinegar, sea salt and pepper and drizzle in the oil while whisking to incorporate. Add in the sliced onions and let it sit while beans are cooking.
- When the beans are done, drain and rinse under cold water to stop them from cooking. Add the beans to the bowl with the other ingredients and toss to combine. Add in the feta and hazelnuts.
I thought I would let you know where Hotchkiss is available at for those of you in Calgary. This was taken off the Hotchkiss website so I hope it is current.
Amaranth Whole Foods www.amaranthfoods.ca
Blush Lane Organic Produce Ltd. www.blushlane.com
Community Natural Foods Ltd. www.communitynaturalfoods.com
CRMR At Home www.crmr.com/athome
Highwood Natural Foods
I3 Imports & Bites Grocerteria
Janice Beaton Fine Cheese www.jbfinecheese.com
Lina's Italian Market www.linasmarket.com
Northern Light Produce Network www.nlpn.ca
Planet Organic Health Corp. www.planetorganic.ca
Second to None Meats www.stnm.ca
Sunnyside Natural Market www.sunnysidemarket.ca
Twisted Basil www.twistedbasil.ca
Valta Bison Farms www.valtabison.com
Walt's Produce Sales Inc. www.waltsproduce.ca
Worldwide Specialty Foods Ltd. www.worldwidespecfoods.com