There are no tomatoes in this picture but there is a good reason for that. I don't like them but if you do add them for sure. I made this salad for myself and my youngest sister on the weekend; we both loved it. I was out of avocado so I added pecans but you could do either. Avocado would have been my preference if I had it.
I found Hotchkiss romaine at Amaranth. If you can get your hands on Hotchkiss lettuce in Calgary it's worth it. It's so fresh and crisp that it takes this salad to the next level. I added fresh dates to the salad because I had bought some for an appetizer earlier that day and they were amazing. Dates and bacon go so well together.
Bacon Lettuce Salad with Hardboiled Eggs
- 1 head Romaine lettuce
- 1/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 eggs, hardboiled, sliced in half
- 1 cup bacon, cut into small pieces and pan fried
- 1/4 cup pecan's or avocado
- tomato wedges
- 3 dates, pitted and chopped
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil (add a little warm bacon fat if you have some left from frying)
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- sea salt and pepper
- In a large bowl, combine chopped lettuce, bacon, onion, pecans, avocado, and dates.
- In a small mixing bowl combine red wine vinegar, olive oil, mustard, salt and pepper. Whisk together until combined.
- Pour dressing over salad and toss to combine. Plate the salad and top with hardboiled eggs and tomato wedges. Dig in!